Sunday, May 2, 2010
1. Chicken – 1 kg (Medium cut, less bones or boneless)
2. Grated coconut – 1 1/2 cup
3. Spices - Poppy seeds – 2 tsp, Fennel seeds(perumjeerakam) – 1 tsp,Coriander seeds – 1 tsp,Jeera – 1/2 tsp,Red chilli – 6-8,Cinnamon stick – 1 medium size piece,Cardamom – 4,Clove – 3,Star anise – 1/2,
4. Ginger - garlic Paste- 1 tbsp each
5. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp,Chili powder – 1 tsp
6. Onion Shallots ( Sambhar Onion) - 15- 20 ( sliced)
7. Tomato – 2 medium ( Cut into small pieces)
8. Lemon – 1
9. Curry leaves - the more the merrier ( about 10 leaves) , mustard seeds - 1 tbsp
Clean the chicken and cut into medium size pieces. Marinate the chicken in lime juice, tumeric powder and salt and keep aside for about 20 - 30 mins.
Fry the coconut with number 3 ingredients in oil, till it turn golden brown. Let it cool completely. Do not add water while grinding.This needs to be well ground and a thin film of oil ( from the coconut) will start to appear.
Heat oil in a bottom heavy pan, splutter the mustard seeds, curry leaves and add sliced shallots and fry it till it becomes golden brown. Add tomato and turmeric and chili powder and mix well. Add salt to taste Add the ground coconut paste and stir it continuously for a few minutes. Once the powders are fried well add chicken pieces, combine well and cook for 10 minutes. Add lemon juice and 2 cups water and cover and cook till the chicken is done. This curry has a thick gravy.
The addition of Tomato and lemon juice is important to reduce the pungent taste of the spices. Serve hot with rice / dosa/ bread / roti and so on...